Google Analytics is a free tool that you can use to track how visitors interact with your website.
It allows you to analyse information about how the visitor arrived on your website, what they did while they were there, if they converted according to a pre-defined goal PLUS offering lots of additional information about the visitors.
A Google Analytics account can be set up for anyone who has a website and would like an analysis of how their website is performing.
Following are the steps you need to take to set up your analytics account.
Select Google Analytics from the right hand side menu
Then, it’s pretty quick from there
- Select the Admin tab.
- Select ‘create new account’ from the drop-down menu in the ACCOUNT column.
- Click Web site or Mobile app.
- Under the section called Setting up your Account, enter an Account Name. Google says to “use a specific and descriptive name, so you can easily tell what this account is for when you see the name in the Account list”
- Under the section called Setting up your property, enter the Website or App Name. Google advises “if you plan on tracking more than one property in this account, use a specific and descriptive name”
- Enter the Web Site URL.
Once you’ve finished selecting all the options, click ‘Get Tracking ID”. And if you ever need it again, you can log into Analytics and go to Admin > Property > Tracking Code
The script part is what you put on your website. as Google says “This is the Universal Analytics tracking code for this property. To get all the benefits of Universal Analytics for this property, copy and paste this code into every webpage you want to track.”
- The absolute beginners guide to Google Analytics via moz.com
- A beginners guide to Google Analytics from Kissmetrics