You know about Instagram and potentially even use it. But how does it work for businesses like yours? Here is everything you need to know about using Instagram for your business.
What is it?
Instagram is a social media networking app. It was originally made for sharing photos and now videos from a smartphone. Created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, it was launched in October 2010 as a free mobile app. It’s growth was explosive and in 2012 Facebook succeeded with their offer to purchase the company for approximately 1 billion dollars. #omg
Why do people love it?
It’s free, it’s fun, it’s visual and easy to use.
How does it help businesses?
Firstly it’s the visual social media channel that many individuals prefer over Facebook, (we’re talking about you random news feed picks and claustrophobic advertisements). Combine that audience with the ability to communicate your tangible visual output (the cool things you make or do) and you have great opportunity.
This is what successful businesses do:
- Allow people to window shop by providing a taste of your products and services
- Show your business to be more personable
- Demonstrate expertise
Here is a great example.
Want to create a dazzling flower arrangement at home? Check out some simple tips from @putnamflowers for an impressive home centerpiece. Learn more in Putnam & Putnam's floral arrangement class on Skillshare: http://skl.sh/flower #flowers #flowerarrangement #flowerstagram #flowershop #floral #floralarrangement #flowerarranging
How much is it?
It’s free to download and use from either the Apple App Store or Google Play store.
How do you sign up?
- Download the app for your phone
- Once installed, open the app and tap Sign Up
- Enter your email address. You have the option to use your personal Facebook account but likely for a business that wouldn’t be the best fit.
- Create a username and password
- Complete the process by adding a profile picture, bio and website url
- Ta da!
Where can I learn to get the most out of Instagram for my business?
Here are some of our favourite sources on everything Instagram
- Take a moment to look at the Instagram blog: which offers great tips
- How to make sure your profile has all the right bits from marketingthink.com
- 7 tips to get Instagram into your marketing program from the Talented ladies Club
- The 12 top questions from Instagram power users from Buffer
- You are about to start, or you have started. Don’t forget these pro tips to get every last optimisation drop from Brandon Gaille
Are you using or considering using Instagram for your business? Let us know in the comments below!